Wednesday, August 29, 2012

"Come, follow me"

One year when I was about 14 years old and my older sister, Kaylin, was about 17, her, I, and my parents were on a hike. Kaylin and I, being teenagers, had no desire to hike with our parents so we pulled back a little ways behind them so we could have our own conversation. As we were walking we noticed we were following almost exactly in our parents footprints. We began to laugh as we pointed out that we could just hear some old church leader using that experience as a way to teach a gospel principle. We joked about how some of those leaders always seemed to find gospel principles and thoughts using the smallest things in everyday life, and we then proceeded to figure out what they might say to share this thought on following exactly in your parents footprints. I don't remember exactly what we planned out for this dynamic talk but I'm sure it was very spiritual. But, as I can't remember what Kaylin and I came up with, I thought I'd share some thoughts I've had on my own about this gospel application and hope she'll forgive my memory and the fact that I'm turning into one of those old church leaders myself..not in age or leadership role but in applying the gospel to obscure situations.

Whose footprints do you follow in? Whose footprints would you like to follow in?

I would like to focus on the second question: "Whose footprints would you like to follow in?" There are many great answers to this question. The example of the parents footprints that originally spurred this idea can be a very good one. If you have good, faithful parents who love and teach gospel principles then following in their footprints is an excellent idea. Also, following in the footprints of older siblings, or church leaders (yes, even old ones) can be very uplifting. But I'd venture to say the very BEST footprints we could follow in are our Savior, Jesus Christ's. "I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life." (John 8:12) We are promised as we follow the Savior that we will have the light of life. Because the Savior lead a perfect life, as we do our very best to follow in His footsteps we will be able to free ourselves from sin and worldly sorrow. No, we will not be perfect. Yes, we will make mistakes. But as we strive more and more every day to follow in His footsteps we WILL find more joy and strength. We will be kept from much heartache and we will be able to move forward with faith.

 Come Follow Me
(vs.1)
"Come, Follow me," The Savior said.
Then let us in his footsteps tread,
For thus alone can we be one
With God's own loved, begotten son
(vs. 2)
"Come, follow me," a simple phrase,
Yet truths sublime effulgent rays
Are in these simple words combined
To urge, inspire the human mind.
(vs. 5)
We must the onward path pursue
As wider fields expand the view,
And follow him unceasingly,
Whate'er our lot or sphere may be
(vs. 6)
For thrones, dominions, kingdoms, pow'rs,
And glory great and bliss are ours,
If we, throughout eternity,
Obey his words, "Come, follow me."


No comments:

Post a Comment